What is TEE?
TEE is a specialized ultrasound
test which allows your cardiologist to obtain high-resolution pictures
of your heart and its valves. It is used to enhance the information
which is obtained from a regular echocardiogram or as a test by itself.
It is particularly helpful in evaluating patients who have artificial
TEE invloves swallowing a small tube after you have recieved some
local anesthesia to numb the back of the throat. An IV line will be
started to allow medication to be given to relax and ensure your
Prior to the Procedure
- The night before your procedure, eat normally.
- From midnight to the day of the procedure DO NOT eat, drink or take any medications.
- If you are diabetic, please let the staff know. DO NOT take
your insulin or oral diabetic pill the day of the procedure. Please
bring your diabetic medication or insulin with you.
- Please bring all medications with dosages and schedule with you.
- Do not wear any cologne, perfume, or nail polish.
- If you wear dentures, you will be asked to remove them. (They will be stored and returned to you after the procedure.)